Saturday, July 30, 2011

And I thought I would be eaten alive by bears? Shoot...

It's not the bears you have to be worried about living up here in Alaska.  It's the freakin' mosquitoes!  I swear, every time we go outside we get swarmed.  And leaving the doors or windows open?  Forget about it!

When I went to buy bug spray the first time around I wanted the least amount of chemicals, something natural...Yeah, the stuff I bought I think attracted them more than anything.  After this, I had Bryon spray me with the deep woods stuff that has DEET in it.  It works...for all of 30 minutes or so, then you had better reapply or look out.  A word to the wise, don't spray it on your lips!  This was accidental and it numbed them like lidocaine for longer then the bug spray lasts!

So instead of doing the flee-fly mosqeeter dance for the rest of the summer, we broke down and invested some money in a Mosquito Magnet.

Bryon hard at work putting the Mosquito Magnet together.


YOU HEAR THAT YOU DAMN MOSQUITOES?  
WE GOT YOUR NUMBER!!!
You can see the mosquitoes in there, it was hard to get a good pic.


How does this work one may ask? Magic.  Actually, I'm not to sure, but it runs on propane and emits carbon dioxide and some other thing that humans put off to attract them.  It is supposed to cover an acre of land and the numbers will be drastically reduced in just a couple of weeks.

This might be one of my new favorite things!
It's already trapped a ton of them and it's only been on for just a few hours.  Relief, it's just a magnet away.  Ahhhhh!

3 comments:

  1. You've heard of bear bells? Maybe they make mosquito bells. Put some on and tinkle (no not pee but that may work too) and voila, no more skeeters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm about to try anything! :) I love being outdoors, but I hate being mauled by these little vampires!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They will be tiny little bites!

    ReplyDelete