Friday, April 1, 2011

Thinker...Not a Doer

Does anyone else have this issue?  I lay in bed at night imagining things.  For example...I exercise daily (meaning I am in superstar shape), I cook fantastic, healthy meals for dinner, I am super-organized (minus the anal-retentive part), I am fabulously artistic...you get the idea.

In these fantasies, everything happens flawlessly.  There is no mention of the blood, sweat, and tears that goes into establishing worth-while life lasting habits.  I can do it all wearing a huge smile on my face!

Then comes the actual implementation of said habit, or as I like to call it, THE REALITY CHECK.

If I can even get past the "idea stage" my new habit lasts...a day...maybe.  Why?  I actually have to work and plan for this good-for-you stuff!  How come no one ever told me about this?  Oh wait, they probably did.  I was just day dreaming when they told me.

If I get past the "idea stage" I then move to the "planning stage".  I like this phase.  My ideas move to paper and I make lists, usually with lots of COLOR!  Ideas look fantastic on paper, actually carrying them out...again, much more difficult.  This blog post is probably an extension of a planning phase for some great idea.

As wonder about why it is hard to establish healthy habits and research it, I have found that most people have a problem establishing good habits.  Most people have a problem breaking bad habits.  And most people have no problem with the initial establishment of the bad habit.  For example, I had no problem picking up smoking.  Quitting on the other hand...sucked!  I still struggle with it and I haven't smoked since September 2010.

Most people have heard the adage "It takes 21 days to change a habit."  I am hear to say "Baloney!"  A lot of research is now showing that is can take months to make a habit stick (the good ones anyway).  It also says that we will fall off the wagon more than a few times before the habit takes effect for good.

So what is holding me back from establishing my good-for-me habits?
*For the only time in my life I will use the excuse of pregnancy, but this will be over soon, so I need a new excuse.
*It's hard to leave my comfort zone of candy and the couch!
*I get discouraged quickly when I fail.
*I try to change too many habits at once.  This is overwhelming.
*I don't realistically consider the barriers to achieving my goals.
*It is sooo much easier to daydream about it than to get up and do it.

Someday I hope to be that fit, healthy person without all the effort.  Maybe I am getting closer to achieving my goals because I think about it more often.  All in all, I am very happy with my life, I just want to continue to improve my happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment