Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Rowan Goes Bananas!

Bryon and I had been talking for a little bit about starting the Rowan-Man on some solid foods.  We have decided that we aren't going to buy any baby food.  Instead, we plan on making our own!  It's way more cost effective, we control how it's prepared, and it just seems a little more wholesome and less processed.  (this is not to pass judgement on anyone, this is what works for US)  There are so many creative recipes out there and it's not really that time-consuming to make it.

The first question, what food do we start with?  Traditionally people start their kiddos on the cereals, but since when have I been known to go with the flow?  We did some research and found that bananas and avocados are actually good foods to start with.  So when I did my grocery shopping this week, I bought the following for Rowan: brown rice, steel-cut oatmeal, bananas, and avocados.  All you need is a food processor (check!) and you are good to go.

Technically, Rowan's first bite of solid food was instant mashed potatoes Sunday night.  It was on a whim though and not prepared just special for him.  He has been watching us eat for awhile and now he starts to drool at the table!  We felt pity on the poor guy and gave him a taste.

Last night, we prepared some bananas mixed with some breast milk.  Yes, we did a taste test before we gave it to our baby and yes, it tasted pretty good.  Kind of like a banana smoothie.
This is Mine!

What are you doing to me??

I think I am getting the hang of it now.

Really, Mom?

If I had jeans I would unbutton them about now.
 He really enjoyed the bananas last night!  Another bonus, he slept from 10:30 p.m. until 5:45 a.m.  Score!

Tell me friends, what was your baby's first bite?  Do you have any recipe suggestions for us?

3 comments:

  1. Amanda sooo exciting! we started Zaeya with veggies about a month ago she loves sweet potatoes, peas, carrots, squash and yes...prunes...!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prunes?! I'm willing to try anything with him, but I'll be honest, that one makes me a little nervous....You are brave!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last two pics show so much personality! A beautiful little kiddo you have there! And go for the prunes. What do you have to lose???? If anything, it will provide some laughs for everyone else. But you, probably. :)

    ReplyDelete